Thursday, July 8, 2010
Here's my current WIP. More oils, more liquin, more odorless turpentine. I'd say its about 60% done and hope to finish by Sunday evening.
It's for Illustration Friday and hopefully my next postcard. I'm going to try to produce about 3 high quality portfolio pieces per month and select the best for marketing. I'm planning on sending postcards out every 2 months.
Here's what I've learned thus far about oils...
1. They dry sssssslllllllloooooooowwwwwww.
2. Liquin helps to keep the finish matted while working and expedites drying.
3. You can't use the same brush throughout the painting. I'm constantly switching and washing.
4. Oil paintings start out looking pretty awful until the layers of paint build up. But, good news, they start looking better the more you work them. I'm just now starting to think this one's going well.
5. Areas of color (including shadows/highlights) have to be preplanned or I make a muddy mess of color. Mixing wet in wet is difficult.
6. I feel like I have more control of this medium to make it perform the way I like. Acrylic is nice - but I like this better already. I'm not turning back.
I like that we're posting more. See you on the board!
Posted by pete at 10:09 PM