Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Getting your art work licensed

How do I go about doing that? Or am I supposed to wait till I'm approached? I know a few of you guys have experience with this in the stamping community, etc. Thanks in advance for your help~



Isaac Marzioli - Freelance Illustrator said...

This is something I'm terribly interested in as well...

I have a couple of links to pages talking about it:

1. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HMU/is_3_30/ai_98695113/?tag=content;col1

This one is just talking about why one should license...it's kind of dull and doesn't take you in any direction, just makes the case for licensing.

2. http://www.artpromote.com/licenseart.shtml - I can't vouch for any of the places they talk about, but at least they direct you to people looking for artwork to license...

3. http://drewbrophy.com/licensing-your-art-is-working-smarter-not-harder-how-to-begin-part-1/ - an artist blog where he/she talks about what they did to get things started.

This is something I've seen a lot of - "You’ll need a style guide, or a grouping, of 10-12 images of a similar theme, in order to approach a potential licensee. Don’t ever go to a potential licensee and show them just 2 or 3 images. It’s not enough and you’ll lose credibility."

I'd like to hear if anyone else has any links to companies that specifically license children's art. Anyone?

Patti said...

Kris, The first thing I would do is familiarize yourself with the licensing industry. Look at sites that license images and agent sites. See if your work fits into a licensing market. Licensing is more about trends both in color, and style. Get to know what is out there and then look and see if your work fits.It's a very crowded area, but then it seems that all illustration areas are very competitive. The more you know the better prepared you are.

marikris said...

Isaac, Patti, thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction! Gosh, I didn't realize blogger doesn't tell you when someone responds to your thread.

I'll be reading up on it tonight. Is the "Style guide, or a grouping, of 10-12 images of a similar theme" - is that what's called a "tear sheet"?

Patti said...

There are some samples of tear sheets on my blog.

Carmen Keys said...

While the contracts I have currently were gained through being approached and word of mouth, I think it will probably gain much better results to send samples to places you'd like to be licensed by, just as you would a publisher. Definitely do research on who would be a good fit, and definitely try and talk to other artists who are licensed with them. There are some sharks out there like with anything, but doing your research, talking to others, and understanding what makes a good or bad contract should help a ton!
The Artist's & Graphic Designer's Market should be chock full of companies to look into. If you're interested in greeting cards, there are many companies who do licensing -- helpful to go through a card shop and see which appear to use artwork that is similar to your style.
I have a sample contract that one of my fantasy art buddies made (who is much more experienced than I am) that has good terms if you want to see a copy!

Christy said...

I have been approached all the times someone wanted to license my art. I am not sure how to go about searching a company out to license you....I think maybe getting the Graphic Artist's Market is the way to start....I need to order it too.
For sure, a diverse and excellent online portfolio would be the place to start...include those 10 or 12 pieces that would work well or compliment each other.
Good luck though. :)