Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Illustration Friday

The word of the week is "clandestine" which took some researching for me. I don't believe I've ever heard that word used in a sentence before. For me it translated to "sneaky" or "deception". Sooooo.....the giant otter has a hidden agenda. He seems like the perfect pet, but really, he's deceiving the little fairy girl. Why is she a fairy? Because I haven't drawn one in a while and kinda miss it. :P

This is on watercolor cold press (something I never paint on but got a beautiful pad of it for Christmas), inked, and will be painted with watercolors. My question to you is how does the composition feel? Do I need to add something else or does it work? I'm thinking the piece will be 9x7, so almost square but not quite. And I'm debating whether to give it straight edges or a more rounded edge. Dunno yet. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Candace Trew Camling said...

I think a soft square border. I think the composition looks complete, but it might be nice to have a overcast gray or cloudy sky. The drawing looks really nice though, and a really creative use of the otter.

kris fulk said...

Hi, Sarah! The otter really does look like a sneaky little thing. You captured his expression very well! When I saw that the theme was "clandestine", I immediately thought about romance novels and "clandestine meetings" and rendevouz -_- I think that's the only place I have ever read that word in a sentence lol.

When I first looked at the drawing, my eyes were immediately drawn to the center of the paper - the mouse's head, coupled with the tips of the fairy wings, make my eyes follow the horizon above the mouse. It's empty, though, and I think it could benefit from another object to focus our attention other than the flat line of the horizon. Maybe a small tractor? Or the answer may be as simply as the sun rising up, or an even more distant house. Anyway, just something to think about. As for your question about edges, I'm totally feeling the rounded edges just because it seems more whimsical to me.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the final image, wether rounded or flat. Hopefully, I will have time to submit something this week, but I probably won't be able to draw till I get back home Saturday night.

Hope you guys have a great New Year's Day!!

:-)

Carmen Medlin said...

That otter indeed looks like he has something sneaky planned! I think he means to steal all the fish!
I think the composition is good, I like how you have a path from the house leading the eye around the picture in a bit of a zig-zag. Also good to have them heading off to the right side of the paper; since we read left to right it feels like there is something more if you turn the page.
Like Mari-Kris I noticed it seems something might be missing in that area around the wingtip and the mouse's head. I was thinking maybe the tops of distant trees, low on the horizon might go there since you have some around the house. Something little or subtle that doesn't really interfere with the composition that is already there, but sort of completes it.
I like the rounded edge idea -- it would add to the mystery of what the otter is plotting I think to have it fuzzed out around the edges!
I bet you will work your Sara magic with the colors, I'm eager to see how it turns out!