What I'm hoping for this blog to be is a way for illustrators, of all levels, to come together and lean on one another. It's competitive out there....very competitive, and it's just not possible without a support group of fellow artisans. I miss the group I had while in school. A huge rectangle table, all of us sitting around doing our homework till the wee hours of the morning, helping each other, chatting, and becoming support beams. Even in class, during the five hour long crits, I direly miss.
So it's my prayer that this group becomes a solid part of an illustrator's life, and a strategic move for their career. All of us need it, we all know it, and we all know the importance of our portfolios.
If you're interested in joining here are some guidelines, which you'll also find a link in the right hand column.
- Be a member of SCBWI
- Finished with education (currently not a student)
- Have a strong desire to work hard
- Understand that criticism is to help us move forward, and to never take it personally, we're talking about the work and want to help it grow. We are not judging character or the individual
- Join with an open mind
- Be prepared to be challenged. If it's not hard, then you're not learning
- Must participate. Critique groups do not work without feedback
- Understand some constructive language. We are willing to help you build that communication, but "It looks great." isn't constructive. What's great about it? Why? Those are constructive questions
God bless and be well.